Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Explorers on the 58!

We are enjoying cooler temperatures, lots of rain and exploring along Oregon Route 58 and all of it’s off shoots Zoey.  If you were here it might be a little boring for you because we haven’t seen lots of kids or playgrounds.  So this entry won’t have a lot of narrative like others.  I bet you didn’t know that Oregon has many covered bridges!  I didn’t know that either.  You might ask Google to tell you what a covered bridge is and why they were built.  The ones here are lovely and several are still in use.  I have enjoyed reading the history of each one.  

Papa was gone for a week to help your daddy in Idaho get ready for you and your mama when you come to your property.  While he was gone I explored some of Oakridge and Westfir.  Oakridge is very much like Orofino, Idaho… a logging community and also supports an active railway lines which comes through 6-7 times a day blowing out a long whistle each time regardless of whether he is eastbound or westbound.  I’m going to try and record that whistle before we leave!  I have checked out the local Dollar General which carries lots of food items ( frozen too).  I found some things there for you Zoey!!  Then I checked out the St Vincent D’ Paul store which is very large, clean and carries 50% brand new items delivered weekly from Eugene.  There is a nice library and a museum but it is only open on Saturday’s and I haven’t been able to catch it yet.  The little town of Westfir is very cute.  The few streets of the town show its pride with painted bicycles along the street decked out with baskets full of colorful annual flowers.  The strip of bikes and baskets are well manicured.  I’m going to get some pictures to show you.   I checked out a few small markets and gas stop markets too.  One proudly serves Umpqua Ice Cream and they hand scoop flavors for you!   You would love that store Zoey.  I found Lemon Bar Ice Cream which is my all time favorite but seeing the pounds I have put on during Covid I had to pass and just dream about it instead.  

But the best part of being here at the rv by myself was a visit from your Aunt Tessie!!  She needed to come to Oakridge to pick up helicopter wayer bucket that was delivered to the Best Western here when they thought they would be based here for fire.  She showed up in the early afternoon last Monday and then pulled out on Tuesday to drive all the way back to Weaverville, CA. I so loved having her here even for one night.  We had a bit of anxiety trying to load the “ bucket” into her sedan trunk that she had rented!!!  But with the old heave Ho and girl power behind us we kind of McGyver’ed it into the trunk!  I’m pretty proud of us. Ha ha

That night we had dinner at the rv and gave Frazier lots of loves between a few card games.  I was sorry to see her leave the next day but thankful that we accomplished what she needed to do and had time together. 

The next few days brought an onslaught of continuous showers.  In between times I walked and tried exploring more places.  

I know this Friday you and mama fly to daddy in Idaho.  I’m sure mama is getting things ready to go and the flight as you finish up Kindegarten.   

Oh and did I tell you Zoey that an Amazon order came yesterday with more birthday presents for you??!! 😘🎂🎈🎉


This is a view looking out from a window on the covered bridge Zoey.  


Driving across the covered bridge.  Look at how bog the timber’s are that support the bridge!


Beautiful Azaleas are everywhere here and I love them.  Many houses have purple , white and pink ones in their yards .


Papa and I took off on the 58 and explored Salt Creek Falls.  It was impressive and loud!


Trails in the area are bordered by towering majestic trees of cedar , hemlock and fir. 




We took a turn off the 58 to drive to Waldo Lake. It was about 48 degrees there and the wi d was whipping up white caps on the lake.  It was extremely clear and they say you can see 100 feet deep out of a lake that is over 400 feet deep!  It’s one of the clearest lakes in the world!


That picnic bench would have seen us sitting there had it not been so cold and windy!  We had hoped to kayak here but not today.  




And Zoey we hot snow going into Waldo Lake!  Uncle Aaron said we would never use our four wheel drive but he was wrong!  Ha ha



This was a private RV park we noticed further up the 58 that was packed wall to wall with campers and fishermen.  


We got the bucket for the helicopter packed into the back of our truck and then into Tessie's trunk!!!  Girl Power!




I also had a wonderful visit from two friends of mine from Salem, Lynda and Chris.  They brought a delicious  lunch and Chris brought us tons of reading material on places in Oregon to see and things to do.  We had a brief respite from the rain and could eat outside. Then we took a stroll through the park and enjoyed viewing the river and wildflower t’s before the headed back home. 



After they left Frazier found a comfy spot by the fireplace and curl in for a long nap. 


Just some of the lovely wildflowers at our park scattered amongst the campers and along the river. 













2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved hearing your adventures and the pictures are fabulous!

Beth Davis said...

Glad you like the photos even though I’m not sure who you are 😄. Subscribe to my blog and you will always know when I ad something new.

High Tea and Cricket Matches

Our port today is Bridgetown Barbados.  Dan says we have never been here so I guess I go with his memory which is much better than mine!  Fo...